Thursday, October 3, 2013

Pastor Chuck Smith 1927 - 2013

Pastor Chuck Smith  1927 - 2013


I can only imagine the noise in Heaven right now.
Today the Christian community lost one of its most influential leaders, Pastor Chuck W. Smith. I can’t say I was surprised, as his health had been failing for some time, but it was still a blow to my soul. In spite of his weakened state due to cancer and the effects of chemotherapy, Pastor Chuck continued his teaching up until the very end. And always with a smile and word of encouragement.
I am certain, that early this morning, Pastor Chuck finally heard the words “Well done, thou good and faithful servant” from the mouth of God himself. Which makes me wonder, will those words meet me when my life is done? I’d like to think so. Granted, founding a church the size and scope of Calvary Chapel is very likely NOT my calling, but what have I done with my life that would make God proud? True, my ticket has been paid, so to speak, but I’d really like to arrive at the pearly gates with something more on my resume than “filled out the appropriate paperwork”. I’d like for God to be glad to see me.
The internet is awash right now with encouragement to pray for Pastor Chuck’s remaining family. The thought briefly crossed my mind that now might not be the best time to call Heaven, as the switchboard would be overwhelmed and may shut down. Or perhaps all calls would be answered with “What? What? I’m sorry, I can’t hear you – there’s a huge party going on right now…”
 
"Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy Lord." Matthew 25:21

No comments:

Post a Comment